Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Special Kinetics 2: Zoledronic acid

Zoledronic acid is a biphosphonate (related to phosphates - carrying negative charge(s) as an anion), and among the many derivatives of bipohosphonates used for treatment of bone diseases incl. osteoporosis, it has a long half-life of about 1 year. I want to point out that I think that the basic concepts we discussed in the course do not apply to this type of drug: As an anionic substance it should not distribute well (but it does act on bone - ho does it get there??), and its action starts of course long before 1 year, and there are questions about its reversibility (in case adverse effects appear). I am going to look into this and will see whether I can get some information on this interesting case and drug! If you run across something, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment