Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Smart phone for lectures?


I wonder whether any of you has a smartphone and has knowledge or experience with connecting this to the LCD projector for big screen display. I recently learned about the Samsung Galaxy Note phone and am told that (a) it runs ppt files and (b) it can connect to a projector via a USB-to-VGA cable. Do earlier versions of this phone (Nexus or earlier) allow for this also?. I feel that the Note would be absolutely great because of its tablet and screen writing (with a stylus) capability. In fact if it works like that, and flawlessly, it might become the traveling lecturer's preferred device for lecture delivery. What do you think and what experiences do you have? Your comments will be important to me and my possible decision to plunge head first into the smartphone user pool. This dive of course is not cheap - in Canada the Note costs 200.- up front plus three years of monthly 50.- for a minimal plan.
Please use the Comment section for communication on this.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dr. Baer,
    I don't have a Note, but I do have a smart phone (Motorola Photon). It is capable of connecting to a computer, projector, tv, etc in order to transfer information to/from the phone or to just display the phone's screen onto another screen. I think most smart phones are capable of this. Because I also have a laptop and an ipad, I haven't had much reason to play around with different applications to see if I can edit power points, word documents, etc, but my guess is that it is possible. I personally prefer a larger screen and a full keyboard when taking notes or editing documents. I think for that reason, a phone might not be the best option for a professor who is constantly changing material, but if it's just needed as something to transport lecture material with (similar to a jump drive), then I think it would be more than capable of doing that. I would suggest that you actually try out the phone in the store and see how functional it would be for you (is it big enough, can you see the screen well, can you type or edit easily, etc). Only then should you make a final decision to purchase. Hope this helps!
    -Courtney Voce

    ReplyDelete