Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

More on cultural sensitivity

I mentioned to you that my daughter found some serious problem with my little "Sugar" video: She said nit was insensitive of me to have the "fat" one portrayed as an Indian (I know, I know:  Ishould not call the First Nations people Indians...more on that later). You did not seem to mind - but here is what happened:
Firstly, the online video program offered that option of characters, and I gave it no thought, just went ahead, no offenses intended. Secondly, I told her, it so happens that indeed our Indians in Canada are the worst affected when it comes to diet, obesity, and other metabolically promoted diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular issues. Not to speak of additional factors such as alcohol, water quality etc. So, she says, now I am making the situation even worse.
Oh, my sweet daughter meant well, and I, stupid, old and culturally insensitive father, meant no evil. We left it at that! I am refraining, however, from publishing the clip on YouTube or sending copies to the Indian reserves!

No comments:

Post a Comment